House fires are devastating events for those involved, and the work required to restore a building to its pre-fire condition can be extensive. In addition, the damage done to a building after a fire can pose serious health risks.
The following information should help you understand that, by working with professionals specializing in fire damage restoration, you can prevent further injury or death to your family or employees and protect property. As such, it’s crucial to hire professional contractors from RestorationsPro.com who have experience restoring buildings damaged by fire.
Below are some pointers on how to prevent health risks and other problems associated with fire damage:
1. Smoke and soot
Smoke contains carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and particulate matter. Smoking or soot entering your home can cause breathing issues and lead to respiratory infections like pneumonia. It may also trigger asthma attacks.
2. Water damage
Water used to douse flames during a blaze may enter homes through cracks or holes in walls. It can reach all areas of the house, including hard-to-reach places where mold grows. A small amount of water will not harm most materials, but large amounts of water can leave behind unsightly stains and damage furnishings. Flooding may occur when the fire has destroyed a portion of the roof, forcing rainwater inside.
3. Radioactive particles
If there was radioactive material at the fire scene, you should immediately contact authorities. The particles can be harmful if inhaled. They can irritate your eyes, skin, and airways.
4. Toxic chemicals
When cleaning up fire debris, toxic substances may come in contact with your skin. These include asbestos, PCBs, lead, and chromium. Inhaling these hazardous materials could cause severe illness, and long-term exposure can lead to cancer.
5. Breathing in ash
Ash is produced by burning wood, coal, coke, and petroleum. When this fine gray powder gets into your lungs, it causes irritation and inflammation and can lead to lung disease and cancer. If possible, wear a mask while cleaning up the mess.
6. Lead paint
Lead dust can easily get into your home after a fire. If you see peeling paint, call a professional to remove it safely. It would help if you did this because lead can cause serious health effects, including brain damage.
7. Toxic gases
Some gases released during a blaze can be dangerous to humans. These include ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, carbon dioxide, methane, and carbon monoxide. Damaged appliances and pipes often cause gas leaks.
8. Electrical shock
Electrical wires in the house may become live after a fire. If you see any exposed wiring, don’t touch them. Contact an electrician for safe removal.
These are just some of the dangers posed by fire damage. Hire a licensed contractor experienced in fire damage restoration to avoid further loss. Your best option is RestorationsPro.com. We are one of the top fire damage restoration companies in the country. For more information about our services, visit our website today.